Font Size


How to Change Your Name After Marriage

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Changing your last name after you get married is an old tradition that has been around for a long time. Whether the wife takes the husband's name as tradition dictates, he takes hers, or both make the decision to hyphenate, follow the necessary steps to make it official.

There may be any number of reasons why a person would want to change their name. Besides the obvious reasons of marriage and adoption, which generally include a legal name change, people may change their name to disassociate from something negative or infamous, or may simply wish to give themselves a name that is more useable. Whatever the reason, obtaining a legal name change varies depending on where you live, but is fairly easy to accomplish.

Step 1: Order extra certified copies of your marriage certificate for agencies that require originals before allowing you to change your name on documents, such as the FRSC.

Step 2:
If you're a man changing your name at marriage, check your marriage certificate to see if there is a space to indicate a name change. If not, you will need court papers to legally change your name. Contact a lawyer to find out the procedure for name changing in your state. (This is not necessary for women.)

Step 3: Request for new National ID cards that reflect your name change.

Step 4: Make an appointment to visit the FRSC for a new driver's license. To be safe, ask in advance which documents you'll need to bring in order to certify the validity of your name change.

Step 5:
Obtain and complete a Passport Amendment/Validation Application. Send this along with appropriate fees, your current passport(s), and a certified documentation of your name change (such as a certified copy of a marriage certificate or court papers) to the nearest passport agency.

Step 6:
Order replacements for cheques, business cards, debit cards and other documents that contain your old name.

Step 7:
Call employers and schools (if you are a student) to let them know your new name, and ask them to change it in their records. For employers. visit your HR department with relevant documents.

Step 8:
Change your name on your car registration, with your insurance and/or mortgage companies, and with your frequent-flier program (if a regular flyer).

Step 9:
Contact the post office, utility companies (e.g. PHCN, Water Corporation), local government office and registrar of voters.

Step 10:
Make the announcement to friends and family (ideally to your in-laws first), using stationery or thank-you cards with your new name printed on them. (You can order name-change cards designed for such an occasion from us by contacting us).

Because a woman traditionally takes her husband's name when she is married, a certified copy of your marriage certificate is sufficient documentation for a woman's name change, even if it doesn't contain a space for your new name. A man may need court papers, not just a marriage certificate, to get new documents after marriage if he wants to change his name.

Read more: How to Change Your Name After Marriage |


+1 #6 Victoria. 2014-10-06 18:41
I got married in sept 13th 2014. I want to notify the public of my new name which is my Husband name. We had the wedding at the Redeemed Christian Church of God (Good Shepherd Pasture) suited at 232/234 Herbert Macaulay way, Alagomeji, Yaba, Lagos.

pls, I need to know the requirement and how to go about it.

Thank you.

0 #5 Anu 2012-06-06 09:40
Quoting Mick:

Does your earlier reply still stand or does this (new) information change the situation.


Quoting Mick:


May I ask where Man A is? Is he in the country? When was the last time he made contact (as this counts in the law courts as well)?
Man B appearing on the birth certificate has no bearing in the matter, unless it was specifically stated that he is the father of the child in the certificate.
In all, it's not about legal custody of the child, but about a name change. A legal name change can be performed for any child younger than 18 with the consent of the parents/guardian (which could be Man C in this case). For a child older than 18, the child has the right to do a legal name change as well. In both cases, however, it is important for the change to be made public knowledge via the newspapers and/or via a website such as this for record purposes.
0 #4 Mick 2012-06-04 16:12

Thanks for your reply!

Just to be sure all the facts are clear, I ask it again.

1. Man A (biological father) didn't reconize his child;
2. Man B (boyfriend) recognized the child and appears on the birth certificate

The relationship between man B and the person in question (me) has ended and now several years later I am getting married to man C (who also wants the child to carry his last name)

Does your earlier reply still stand or does this (new) information change the situation.

Many thanks in advance for your reply.


+1 #3 namechangengr 2012-05-03 18:22
Quoting Mick:
What is the procedure if the the woman in question has a child of man A (never recognized), man B recognized the child on the birth certificate, but she marries man C.

Man C wants the child to have his last name, so does the woman who he married. Any release documents necessary from man B and/ or man A?

Hello Mick. No release documents are necessary. If Man A is not regarded as the legal guardian of the child, then you are free to do a name change for the child. After your marraige to Man C, he becomes the legal guardian of the child and with your consent, youmay process a name change for him/her.

Either way, the child also has a free choice when he is 18 to change his name to whatever he wishes, regardless of any documents.
0 #2 Mick 2012-04-30 13:32
What is the procedure if the the woman in question has a child of man A (never recognized), man B recognized the child on the birth certificate, but she marries man C.

Man C wants the child to have his last name, so does the woman who he married. Any release documents necessary from man B and/ or man A?
+2 #1 Debola 2011-09-23 13:47
A lot of people know they need to do this, but people generally feel lazy about it. Most people will do the name change as and when the situation warrants it. But I guess it's a good article to give a guideline for some that don't even know where to start.

Add comment

Security code

Latest Comments

  • Name Change FAQs
    You look like a website that aims to be a central ...
    06.06.16 20:46
    By Mohamed
  • Change of Name
    Please, I need your service for change of surname ...
    20.07.15 11:34
    By Ayo
  • Change of Name
    It is possible to obtain an affidavit for change ...
    11.05.15 20:04
    By namechangengr

Our Polls

Have you publicized your name change in the newspapers as at right now?


Latest Classifieds Entries

These name change entries were obtained from national newspapers, as submitted by applicants. Please check the "Newspaper Classifieds" page (sub menu, Name Changes) for the full list, or go to Submit Name Change to include yours.

tumblr visitor

You are here: Resources How to Change Your Name After Marriage
Hundreds of new users... get started today with the online name change registry for Nigeria! Register Now! is for information purposes only. does its best to obtain accurate information from its users and members, through verification of submitted documents and other legal means. Accounts marked as ‘Verified’ have had at least the photocopies of their relevant documents viewed by our legal officers. We cannot guarantee full authenticity of claim, therefore, the site does not claim responsibility for the information displayed therein. All change of names posted on the Classified section of the site were obtained directly from either the newspaper publications themselves, or as submitted by users who were later assigned unique IDs. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same.

Payment Options

Make Payments Safely with VoguePay OR via